Reminder that Saturday, Sept 17 is FREE admission at more than 1,400 participating museums, zoos, botanical gardens and other cultural institutions nationwide.
It’s the Smithsonian Magazine’s 18th annual Museum Day, and you should download FREE tickets now through the Smithsonian magazine website
This year’s theme is The American Experience, showcasing arts, culture, sciences, innovation and history exhibits.
Plus, there’s a special promotion to win back-to-school kits every day through Sept. 17 and a chance to win a free trip to Washington, DC.
The goal is to get school-age kids into museums, and FREE admission is a great way to do it.
Important – You can’t just walk in. You must download a free ticket, good for admission for two people.
One ticket is allowed per email address, and tickets are good for one person and a guest.
Your Smithsonian Museum Day ticket will be e-mailed, and you must print it and bring it with you for free entry.
Each ticket is good for two people, and is only for general admission – it does not include special exhibits, parking or showing such as IMAX.
ecoxplorer tips for Museum Day
- If you are a group of more than two, register with different email addresses to receive admission for two with each ticket.
- Whether you are part of a group or not, go early in the day, since museums have the right to make you wait in favor of paying customers if space reaches capacity.
Museum Day Participating Museums & Institutions
Participating institutions are still registering, but you can find a list of the venues here.
Just a small sample of cultural institutions already on the list –
- American Space Museum, Titusville, Florida
- Hudson River Museum in Yonkers, New York
- Knoxville Museum of Art, Knoxville, Tennessee
- Portland Art Museum, Portland, Maine
- South Haven, Michigan’s Michigan Maritime Museum;
- International Museum of Art & Science in McAllen, Texas
- The National WWII Museum, New Orleans
Museum Day Promotions to Win Stuff
Five people can also win a trip to Washington D.C. to visit Smithsonian Museums.
Parents can enter the promotion once a day for a chance to win at quakerbacktoschool.com.
This year’s Museum Day is sponsored by the Quaker Oats Co. and Regent Seven Seas Cruises.